Overview and Professional Qualifications
Dr. Alan Hamlet is an assistant professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and Earth Sciences at the University of Notre Dame. Formerly, he worked for the University of Washington and it’s Climate Impacts Group.
Dr. Hamlet has been working in the Skagit on climate issues since 2001 with a main focus on climate variability, climate change scenarios, hydrology, water resources, and human and natural systems. Dr. Hamlet’s main area of expertise is hydrology.
Outside of the Skagit Basin, he has worked on Pacific Northwest climate variability and climate change scenarios, Columbia River Basin hydrology and water resources, and regional-scale energy research.
Because of the nature of hydrologic studies, many management areas are potentially affected by Dr. Hamlet’s research. These include water supply, hydropower production, lake recreation, ecosystem services, flood plain management, emergency management, transportation, Skagit River Estuary, and Puget Sound habitat restoration.
- Evaluation and downscaling of global and regional climate models
- Land surface hydrology and modeling
- Integrated hydrological and water resources modeling
- Water resources planning and management
- Flooding and assessment of hydrologic extremes
- Impacts of climate variability and climate change on hydrology and water resources
- Sustainable water resources management and climate change adaptation strategies
- Long-lead climate and streamflow forecasts and related water resources applications
- Modeling of freshwater and estuarine ecosystems
- Forest hydrology and climate impacts to terrestrial ecosystems
- Paleoclimatic precipitation and streamflow reconstruction
- Climate impacts on hydropower and energy systems
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D., civil and environmental engineering, University of Washington, 2006
- M.S.E., civil and environmental engineering, University of Washington, 1996
- B.S., mechanical engineering, University of Washington, 1992
- B.A., mathematics, University of Rochester (NY), 1981
Affiliations and Professional Service
- Founding member of the Skagit Climate Science Consortium
- Climate Impacts Group, University of Washington
Dr. Alan Hamlet
Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering and Earth Sciences
University of Notre Dame
156 Fitzpatrick Hall
Notre Dame, IN 46556